The cold weather is HERE which means it is time to figure out how to dress for our cold weather running. This post will provide a few tips for getting your cold weather run routine together!
- Pay attention to the temperature before you go out to run. This will determine what exactly you need to put on and what needs to be left lying on the bed. Checking the local news or your phone is fine but also remember take the wind into consideration.
- Try not to overdress – you will feel cold at first but your body will warm up. Dress as if it is 20 degrees warmer outside.
- Upper Body – Dress in layers. The layer closest to your body should be a wicking material, something that will pull the sweat away from your body and keep you dry. If it is really cold out put on a fleece layer in the middle and for the outer layer put on nylon or something similar that would protect you from precipitation.
- Lower Body – your lower body produces a lot of heat so tights or pants made from a wicking material should be just fine, however if it is really cold put a wind proof layer on top of the tights such as track pants.
- Feet – choose a good pair of dry wicking socks to keep the feet dry and free from possible frostbite.
- Hands – up to 30% of body heat can be lost through your hands so gloves are important during cold weather running. Mittens are preferred so your fingers can share their heat. You can also slip heat packs into your gloves for extra warmth.
- Head – You can keep your head warm during cold weather with a fleece or wool hat. You can lose up to 40% of your body heat through your head so it is important to keep your head warm.
- Stay Hydrated – Despite the fact that it is cold, you will still sweat and lose important body fluid. The cold air and wind will dry the sweat which can increase the likelihood of dehydration. It is very important to keep your body hydrated no matter what season.
- Try To Avoid puddles and snow – Try to keep your feet dry and warm
- Protect your lips from being Chapped with Lip Balm or Vaseline.
- Get out of your wet clothes as soon as possible!!